9. Citizens National Bank
Citizens National Bank (CNB) occupies about a city block, encompassing eight lots with considerable history. Much of the parcel was assembled into Stoneleigh estate by Judge John Kennedy of Pittsburgh at the beginning of the 20th century. Revolutionary War General Horatio Gates lived in Gough House on the north corner of Market and Washington streets, and America's first Methodist Bishop, Francis Asbury preached here. Charles Carroll of Maryland, Signer of the Declaration of Independence and launcher of the B&O Railroad was originally a squatter then bought two southside Market St. lots when land was available for sale in 1776. Today, one is a CNB parking area. Carroll’s house on the second lot survived and noted author and ecologist, Herbert Quick, lived there while building Coolfont’s Manor House, completed in 1916. The 18th century structure was finally razed in 1966, replaced by the current brick residence
James Mercer of Virginia was the original owner of the corner of Liberty and Mercer streets where he built a cabin before the town was formed. Mercer’s longtime associate, George Washington, stayed in this cabin during his visits in 1767 and 69. It was added to several times including a tower built by Henry Harrison Hunter in 1878. Named Tanglewood, it was a wedding present for David Hunter Strother in 1848; he entertained noted writer Washington Irving here. Tanglewood was later operated as a boarding house until razed in 1968.
Washington’s brother-in-law, Fielding Lewis, owned the lot on the southside of Washington and Liberty. Kennedy tore down Lewis’ 18th century cottage to build Stoneleigh in 1904, and the Gough House to build Stoneleigh’s carriage house. The latter was razed in 1967 for the main section of Citizens National Bank and the dramatic stone house was razed for the bank’s expansion in 1986.
© 2004 Travel Berkeley Springs. All rights reserved.