7. Highlawn Inn
The area of Green St, along the hill facing the springs, was outside the 1776 plat of town. It was opened up in the 1880s by Dr. Green and called Ewing Hill. Highlawn Inn perches above Green St. on Market. It was built in 1902 for longtime State Senator Algernon Unger by J.W. and Raymond Hunter and was noted as “something out of the ordinary Berkeley architecture” by the local newspaper of the time. Unger was part of a group that owned the Berkeley Hotel; later he was one of the initial group that owned the Washington Hotel. After his death, the structure was operated as a boarding house and since 1985 as an award-winning bed and breakfast inn. The original carriage house has been renovated into a lodging suite.
© 2004 Travel Berkeley Springs. All rights reserved.