27. Old Factory/B&O Depot
The north end of town has generally seen industrial use including sawmills, canneries and early sand mines. The Old Factory Antique Mall opening onto Williams St. is a remnant of that industrial past. It was built in 1921 for the Interwoven Mill on the site of the 19th century Crosfield saw and planing mill The addition was constructed in 1923.
The Mission-style, brick train depot on the corner of Williams and Washington was built by the B&O Railroad in 1914. It replaced a smaller, frame structure erected soon after the train first came into town in 1888 as a spur from the main line along the Potomac. The current depot was used until 1935 when passenger service stopped. Most notable features are its low pitched terra cotta tile roof with overhanging eaves and decorative brick work. The Depot, now owned by the town, is on the National Register of Historic Places. The area was part of the Crosfield Addition which included a sand plant, mills, coal and wood yard and the Berkeley Lodge Hotel.
© 2004 Travel Berkeley Springs. All rights reserved.