On the west
end of Independence is Wilkes Street, for most of the
town’s history the main street that extended north to Hancock, Maryland
and served at the south end as main entrance to the springs. The 1894
Victorian called Highspire on the northwest corner of
Independence and Wilkes was built on the site of James Wheat's 18th century,
three-story lodging place. Across Wilkes is a playful Queen Anne Victorian
with an unusual corner entry and interesting wood patterns in the gables.
It was built in 1902 on the site of the town's first jail. The western
side of the next block south has been residential since the late 19th
century. The two-story brick Hovermale/Mendenhall house,
built in 1884, has distinct symmetrical construction, original pegged
frame windows and an unusual full front porch with two entrances. It is
on the National Register of Historic Places.
for an interactive map of the Walking Tour.
| introduction | take
the tour | postcards
Berkeley Springs - Morgan
County Chamber of Commerce
127 Fairfax Street
Berkeley Springs, WV 25411
2004 Travel Berkeley Springs. All rights reserved.