21. Washington Street - East Side
On the east side of Washington St. are two 19th century commercial buildings, both renovated. The southernmost was once a stylized Victorian mixed-use residential and commercial that spent many years as a grocery and dry goods store including the Boone and Hunter store in 1885. On the corner of Washington and Congress is a building constructed in 1875 on the site of an 18th century tannery that extended along Congress St. A variety of businesses including Coughlan Drugs, a sports shop, jeweler and various eateries have been housed here. The false-rounded parapet front is reminiscent of the Old West. It was most recently renovated for Treasures and Treats in 2002.
© 2004 Travel Berkeley Springs. All rights reserved.