Masonic Lodge/Visitors Center was built on the northeast corner
of Mercer and Fairfax in 1907 by J.H. Hunter and Sons for Stoneleigh's
Judge Kennedy as office space. It was leased to the Post Office which
remained there until moving across Mercer St. in 1961. The
Morgan Messenger has been located on the lower level since
1909. The town’s oldest continuing business, it is still owned and
operated by the family of its founder. The easternmost room was used for
more than a decade beginning in 1914 by the Womens Civic League as a Rest
Room where country women could await their husbands doing business in
town. Using fine butter (mortar) joints, the facade and entablature are
composed of limestone and decorative brick. Wooden dentals and a band
of limestone separate the first and second floors.
the Masonic Lodge, the Inn on Fairfax St., is housed in a residence built
in 1903 and restored a century later.
corner on Mercer St, the Berkeley Springs Fire Department was constructed
in 1957 on the site of the 19th century Trimble Hall which housed an opera
house and tavern. It was razed for the new fire hall.
for an interactive map of the Walking Tour.
| introduction | take
the tour | postcards
Berkeley Springs - Morgan
County Chamber of Commerce
127 Fairfax Street
Berkeley Springs, WV 25411
2004 Travel Berkeley Springs. All rights reserved.