Fairfax Street -
corner of Washington and Fairfax St. and east along Fairfax was a densely
built commercial area of town from the late 19th century through the disastrous
fire of 1974 when all its buildings were destroyed including the
Variety was the first structure rebuilt in 1975. Its site has a long history
as a location for retail operations.
BB&T Bank was constructed in 1978 on the hotel site. Prior to construction
of the Washington Hotel by George Biser in 1905, the corner held a dwelling
that occasionally served as a boarding house. In the 1880s, Beverly Tucker
rented it as his family cottage. Tucker was a US Government official turned
Confederate agent who became a friend of postwar presidents including
Harrison and Garfield, The Washington Hotel was the mainstay of the early
20th century resort industry also housing several businesses within its
most prominent of the commercial buildings on Fairfax St. destroyed by
the fire was the Opera House built by W.H. Young in 1905.
The town’s first motion pictures were shown there in 1909 and continued
through the mid-20th century under a variety of names and managers. Many
events were staged in the Opera House which could seat 450, had a 22-foot
ceiling and a large stage. At various times it also held the Town Hall
and an indoor miniature golf course.
of empty area is owned by St.Vincent de Paul Catholic Church.
It is used for parking and as the food lot for the annual Apple
in Fairfax St. was added in 1916 when Fairfax and Washington streets were
first paved -- with brick. The Soldiers Memorial Monument was added in
1925. Its landscaping is maintained by the Foxglove Garden Club.
for an interactive map of the Walking Tour.
| introduction | take
the tour | postcards
Berkeley Springs - Morgan
County Chamber of Commerce
127 Fairfax Street
Berkeley Springs, WV 25411
2004 Travel Berkeley Springs. All rights reserved.