12. St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church
St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church occupies three lots that were deeded by Lord Fairfax to his nephews in 1768. One of the nephews was George William Fairfax who, with his wife Sally, entertained the Washingtons in their cottage. The Fairfax lots were reserved from the 1777 sale. From 1794 through 1900, Fairfax’s small cottage on the property, expanded to a three-story brick dwelling, belonged to the Pendletons, one of the town's most prominent summer families. Gill Park was maintained on the unused section of Liberty Street in this area. The Pendleton house became a boarding house known in 1915 as Boleton Lodge and was used in 1929 for the original Park View Inn In 1932 the church was built on the eastern lots and in 1964 the old Pendleton house was razed for the rectory.
© 2004 Travel Berkeley Springs. All rights reserved.