Berkeley Springs State Park/
Springs State Park. Although always public land, it did not
achieve its current four acres until 1881. The lots along Washington St.
were sold in 1812 to Robert Gustin who built a lodging place just inside
today's entrance arch. In 1836, John Strother began his hotel empire by
renting Gustin House. He called it the Pavilion. The section facing the
Inn and Spa at Berkeley Springs also was not originally part of the park.
The Blue House where Robert Bailey gambled in the 1810s was located there
and later bought by John Strother in 1839. When razed in 1881, the land
was sold to the Bath Trustees for the park.
on the National Historic Register, the park includes
the springs and the town's first spa and bathhouses. Their history is
outlined in the Treasure Tour of Berkeley Springs State Park. The buildings
include the 1815 Roman Bathhouse, with the Museum of
the Berkeley Springs on the second floor, and the Gentlemen's
Spring House in the northwest corner. The Main Bathhouse
was built in 1929 along the south boundary. Buildings were first constructed
in the park beginning in 1784 and included a series of covered bathhouses,
the most recent of which were razed in 1949 for the outdoor swimming pool.
on Warm Springs Ridge overlooking the park and springs is the most extravagant
example of the town's Victorian building boom -- Berkeley Castle.
It was constructed of local sandstone by Samuel Taylor Suit
of Washington, DC in 1885 as a summer cottage for his young bride Rosa
Pelham. Suit died and Rosa finished building the cottage which the local
press dubbed the Castle in tribute both to its appearance and Rosa’s
many extravagant parties. During the first half of the 20th century, the
Castle passed through many hands. It was used for everything from dances
and an antique fair to a summer camp. Up until 2000, it was open for house
tours; currently it is a private residence available for photo and movie
shoots. The building is dominated by the three-story tower; the roof is
trimmed with battlements. There are 13 interior rooms and a basement "dungeon."
WV9 now cuts through the Castle property; a stone gate tower built by
Rosa in 1893 is stranded on the opposite side of the highway.
Take a Treasure Tour of Berkeley Springs
for an interactive map of the Walking Tour.
| introduction | take
the tour | postcards
Berkeley Springs - Morgan
County Chamber of Commerce
127 Fairfax Street
Berkeley Springs, WV 25411
2004 Travel Berkeley Springs. All rights reserved.